The No.2 seed Japanese superstar Naomi Osaka was on Sunday threatened with disqualification from the French Open if she persists with her controversial media boycott, officials said.

“We have advised Naomi Osaka that should she continue to ignore her media obligations, she would be exposing herself to possible further code of conduct infringement consequences,” said a statement from the four Grand Slam tournaments after issuing the world number two with a $15,000 fine. “As might be expected, repeat violations attract tougher sanctions including default from the tournament.”

Japan’s Naomi Osaka show her clay-court prowess as a “work in progress” after she kicked off her Roland-Garros title bid with a 6-4, 7-6(4) win over Patricia Maria Tig of Romania on Sunday.

The four-time major champion Japanese superstar Naomi Osaka made a promising start to her Roland-Garros campaign. The No.2 seed, who has yet to go past the third round in Paris in four attempts, dropped just four points on her first serve and fired 39 winners as she fended off the challenge of the Romanian under warm, blue skies in an early start on Court Philippe-Chatrier.

She has now won her last 15 back-to-back matches at the majors, having lifted the trophy at last year’s US Open and this year’s Australian Open (she missed Roland-Garros 2020 throughout injury).

“I’d say it’s a work in progress,” Osaka said of the state of her clay-court game. “Hopefully the more I play the better it’ll get. If I play more matches, then hopefully I’ll get better [on the surface].”

All four of Osaka’s Grand Slam titles have come on hard courts.

Early losses in Madrid and Rome meant the Japanese arrived in Paris with doubts over her form but she seemed to enjoy the warmer conditions, the ball flying off her racquet with customary ease.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here